Sunday, December 20, 2009

Silent Night!




Who doesn't love singing "Silent Night" at Christmas time? I know I've already sung it several times in various places this season. It always brings a warm, loving feeling! I'm sure you will feel as I did when I read this paragraph from an article in LDS Living magazine about the LDS Church's development in Eastern Europe. I was especially interested when I saw the countries of Bulgaria, Romania and Ukraine mentioned as we have family connections now to each of those countries. I don't think I will ever sing "Silent Night" again without thinking of this experience that was shared!

"Breaking Down Barriers"
"Elder Neuenschwander worked tirelessly to bring missionaries into several European countries, including Bulgaria, Romania, and Ukraine. Marilyn Fowler entered Bulgaria in September 1990 to teach English with her husband. English-teaching missionaries were soon followed by full-time proselytizing missionaries who entered the country that November. Ten days after their arrival, six converts were baptized in the first Bulgarian baptismal service.

Says Marilyn Fowler:
"One of the nicest memories I have from my time in Bulgaria is of our first Christmas party. We sang 'Silent Night'--a song none of them had ever heard. People were smiling and laughing. They stayed long after the program was over. The four of us, the senior missionaries, we just sat and cried. We realized that never in their lives had they ever had such an experience. It's such a little thing, but it was brand new to them."



This Christmas be thankful for the "little things" such as singing "Silent Night" that make
this season so special and sacred!

No comments: