Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Happy 100th Birthday!

Today would have been my Dad's 100th birthday!  I know he wished he could have lived that long on the earth and he almost made it!   
12 July 1923 to 27 June 2019
Here are a few random photos and memories:
Age 12 1935
My Dad at age 19
Age 19 now in the Navy at Camp Farragut Idaho
He was very proud to have served his country.
My Dad was a devoted husband for over 59 years!
He was always kind and respectful to my Mom.
Amanda wrote this in a tribute for his 90th birthday:
"After Kathyrn's baby blessing, Grandma and Grandpa came to our townhouse, as well as some other family and friends.  I noticed Grandpa waiting at the top of the stairs while the rest of us were already seated in the living room.  We told him he could come and sit down, but Grandpa said he was waiting for Grandma who was still working on getting up the the stairs.  He didn't want her to feel bad and didn't want to sit before she did."
My Dad LOVED babies!  Here he is with Camille...
...and Lily.
1950 with Me!
This is how I probably remember my Dad most.  Taken 1984 in San Jose
but this is how you might remember him:
2018
This was a big part of our lives during my teenage years.
Starting a new business took a lot of hours but my Dad worked hard and made it very successful!  I learned a lot working there with him.
My Dad loved his heritage and talked about it a lot!
My Dad was so proud of his family and nothing made him happier than being with family.
He loved our big reunion in 2018 for his 95th birthday!
And I know he loved being Grand Marshal of our 4th of July parade!
My Dad loved traveling and seeing new places.  We were thrilled to have him travel with us from time to time:  Paris December 1995 to pick up Heidi from her mission
Versailles
March 2010 Kansas for Courtney's baptism and Camille's blessing
He LOVED his grandchildren and great grandchildren!
2010 Washington D.C.  We were able to take him to the WWII Memorial...
...and Arlington National Cemetery where they applauded for him on the bus tour.
April 2013 San Antonio Texas
It was a thrill for him to see the Alamo.
We loved having him for Christmas.  This was in 2011.
He was always a good sport.
My Dad played a big part in making sure we had a great Christmas 
when I was growing up.
Christmas 1956
Because Mom couldn't drive until I was an older teenager, Dad took us to all of our appointments, lessons, etc. and we spent a lot of time with him sometimes when we were young waiting in the car while Mom was at an appointment or shopping.
My Dad always wanted us to have fun vacations.   This is from we went to the Grand Canyon which I have been thinking about recently!
Dad took Jim, Becky and I on a mule ride down the canyon.  I took this photo sitting on my mule with Becky ahead of me.
In 2013 we celebrated his 90th birthday in Salt Lake City.
Almost every day something is triggered that reminds me of a 
wonderful memory of my Dad!   Happy 100th Birthday!!💗💗
My Dad loved serving in the temple and did so for many years.
Portland Temple 2003
On the 7th of April 2005 I received this letter from my Dad.  It went to my siblings as well.

"I had a few moments in the Temple today to contemplate and meditate which prompted me to send you a note.  Please be aware and reminded to be thankful for the wonderful conditions under which we are living.  First, that we are able to live under the umbrella of the Gospel restored to the earth (only recently) as compared to all the time since Creation which is a blessing unmeasurable.
Second, that we are privileged to live in a country that is free, allowing us our free agency to make our own decisions and wishes.  Further, that we have clean and comfortable homes to enjoy unlike millions who do not.
And that we have been given children to raise, guide and teach which is a blessing and a joy almost beyond comprehension.  As you know, there is great satisfaction and happiness in fulfilling and enjoying this responsibility and labor of love in caring for these precious souls.  And lastly, let us always be grateful for our bodies which are temples in themselves provided to us as gifts from Heavenly Father to use and care for in His service.
I am grateful to be your loving father, Dad"

No comments: