Thursday, May 19, 2011

Don't Let The Trip End!

We left Palmyra on Tuesday for the long drive back to Boston.  But we didn't want our trip to end, so we decided to add two more stops.  It rained the whole day except as noted below.
Our first stop was the Erie Canal Museum in Syracuse, New York.  
It was SO interesting!!
Here I am with "Sal!"
(Remember the "Erie Canal Song?")
We got to walk on board a replica of a canal boat.
We learned a LOT about this amazing canal which in its heyday was considered the 8th Wonder of the World.  Being from California we never think about snow, but we were interested to learn that the canal was closed and drained every November and not opened again until May!
Our next planned stop was Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts.  It was raining and raining and we seriously thought we wouldn't be able to go there and enjoy it if it was pouring rain.  It stopped raining just before we arrived and didn't start raining again until it closed at 5:00 p.m.!! We felt very lucky and we also enjoyed this very much!   It is a representation of an 1830 town/village.  All of the homes and stores are authentic; they have just been moved there from different places.  It is interesting and beautiful.  We loved all of the craft shops.  The potter:
The blacksmith:
The attorney (notice his name)
The school
And schoolyard
The cooper
We also visited the shoemaker, the tinsmith, the bank, the general store, and a couple of homes and churches.   It is a beautiful spot for wandering through the village and learning about life over 180 years ago.
I can't say farewell to New England without a salute to this place.  It was founded in Boston and they are EVERYWHERE.  We got to laughing about how many we saw.  They are on every other corner in downtown Boston (we heard there are over 67 in the downtown), and then they are at every rest stop, in every shopping center, in every town and I finally had to take this near our airport gate.
We did end our trip without tasting a single one!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Sounds so fun. Dunkin Donuts over there are like Starbucks around here. There are three in the building where I used to work.

Amanda said...

Dunkin Donuts - the Starbucks of the East!

MaryAnn said...

My favorite picture is the one of Sal! Who could ever forget listening to that song over and over, and over on long car trips.

MollyE said...

I loved seeing pictures or your trip! They brought back so many great memories, and some we are hoping to make with our kids in the not too distant future! We are trying to decide whether to make the long drive out to Palmyra. I really want to and you have inspired me that it is worth it! I do think you might have missed out on a highlight of Boston though. Dunkin Donuts, way better than Krispy Kreme! I can't wait to get to one!