I love my roses!
They are so beautiful, easy to grow and bring such pleasure both inside and out!
But roses have a down side! They have thorns!!
And this is what the end result is when you have a 2-month run-in with a rose thorn!
If you are faint of heart, you may want to stop reading this post right now. Otherwise, remember that you were warned!
Friday afternoon I had surgery on my left index finger to remove a mass which grew as a result of a rose thorn that got stuck in my finger in the middle of August. I thought I pulled it all out with some tweezers, but about two weeks later, it didn't seem healed and there was a hard lump there. Hmm, I thought. I bet I didn't get all the thorn out. So I performed a little surgery on myself, poking around inside and hoping I got it cleaned out. Instead of healing up like all the other many times I've pulled rose thorns out of my hands and fingers, this "thing" appeared on my finger:

I kept hoping it would go away, maybe dry up and fall off. Dan thought it might be a wart. I kept it covered and just kept waiting. Finally on the 1st of October I went to the doctor. He took one look and referred me to a specialist. A week later I got into the specialist and he said it was a pyogenic granuloma which is what your body forms around a foreign object in your body. Could even have been a speck of dirt left from the thorn. Who knows? But he said it needed to be surgically removed. The surgery was scheduled for the 17th. It was quite an ordeal, performed in a operating room wearing one of those oh-so-modest gowns with an IV in me and 5 shots to numb my finger. Now I can't get my left hand wet for at least 8 days, I'm having trouble typing, I'm on antibiotics,the pain has yet to kick in, and the stitches will be removed in 2 weeks. And to think this two month ordeal and the surgery could have been avoided with these!
I still love my roses, though!

3 comments:
That looks really terrible! I can't believe you didn't tell me you were having major surgery. I'm kind of surprised that you had to be in an operating room and with a gown and IV and everything. Hopefully the pain won't be too bad and it will heal quickly. Courtney made several notes and pictures for you today. She was quite disturbed by the pictures and worried about you.
Too bad you couldn't have kept it till Halloween so you could scare kids while handing out candy.
Anonymous Becky says "Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!" . . . and I am wondering what else you aren't telling us???
Mike got a thorn in his finger on Saturday and believe me, we were all helping him make sure he got rid of every last piece of the thorn out, dirt and all!
Hope you're healing well!
Post a Comment