On Wednesday I had the opportunity to hear some speakers from Salt Lake report on the Church's Humanitarian Aid program. It has beenone of the best kept secrets in the world! But fortunately Bishop Burton has been using his Conference talks to give updates to the Church.
The presentation began with a projection of this large painting by Carl Bloch. A few years ago this painting came up for auction and the Church was determined to purchase it. It is now on display at the BYU Museum of Art. What a beautiful example of our Savior's compassion and willingness to help everyone!
Here are some interesting things I learned:
- The Church helps with disasters as needed which include: earthquakes, fires, situations related to hunger and war, and floods.
- The Church also has the following ongoing projects: clean water, wheelchairs, vision treatment, neonatal resuscitation, measles shots and family food production.
- The Church works with over 1,000 other organizations to provide relief.
- There are Humanitarian missionary couples serving in 21 church-defined areas of the world. In fact there are 2 couples serving in Burma right now.
- Two years ago there were no Bishop's storehouses in South America. Now there are many!
6.There are LDS Employment Centers all over the world.
They told us a lot about the current clean water project in the DR Congo which is featured in the current Church News. The nearest clean water for over 160,000 people is 20 miles away! Currently, the local residents collect water from contaminated drainage ditches. The Church will help the people dig the ditch with shovels and picks and lay the pipe for those 20 miles. Makes you think twice about the ease with which we get clean water!
How To Help:
- Volunteer at bishop's storehouses, welfare farms, canneries and other projects.
- Donate useful items to Deseret Industries.
- Make generous fast offering contributions
- Donate on the tithing form to "Humanitarian Aid."
We already give a lot to our church, but I think it is important to give to Humanitarian Aid on a regular basis. Just think: by giving even $1.00 a year (the cost of one measles shot) you might save a child's life! A half million children have died in Africa from measles. My parents tell me that I almost died from it when I had it at age 5.
100% of what you give goes directly for aid which is quite amazing! By donating you can help people who are literally our brothers and sisters have a better life. What a great way to thank Heavenly Father for all we have been blessed with!
Can you tell that I am a fan of the Church's Humanitarian Aid program?
As Marion G. Romney said: "The process of giving exalts the poor and humbles the rich. In the process, both are sanctified."
Join with me in helping Humanitarian Aid give a "hand up" rather than a "hand out!"
Matthew 25:40!!

3 comments:
I've always wished that 20/20 or some news show would do a program about all the things our church does worldwide. Their quiet service is a good example, but if the church membership knew more, we'd probably give more! Thanks for sharing what you learned. We are especially interested in the Employement Centers!!
I loved learning this. I hope people who google to your blog read this one!
Great message. Thanks for the inspiration.
Post a Comment