Thursday, October 26, 2017

Happy Birthday, Mom!

October 26th is a special day to remember my Mom!
I didn't find this picture until it was too late to post on the previous blog post but this is a picture at the Oakland Temple on the day I received my Endowment.
My Mom didn't like to have her picture taken but sometimes we got one:
Jeff's and Suzie's wedding reception:
Darryl's and Amanda's wedding reception:
A fun memory of my Mom:
It was Fall of 1998 and my Mom would be celebrating her 75th birthday.  My sisters and I wanted to do something to surprise her.
Two of my sisters flew into Sacramento.

Here is what I wrote in October 1998:

I had a glorious week!  On Friday (October 23rd) I put a turkey in the oven and headed for the airport.  It was so great to see Kathy!  I got to visit with her for about 2 hours before Becky's plane landed.  Wow, was Becky surprised to see Kathy!  That was so fun.  We started talking and I don't think we stopped for the whole weekend, except for a little sleep.   We had the turkey dinner because it seemed like Thanksgiving to me to have some family here.   Before dinner on Friday I called my parents and told them I was coming Saturday evening and that I would be bringing "the two girls." (MaryAnn and Heidi?)  They sounded excited we were coming.  
 At 4:30 Kathy and Becky and I left for San Jose.  On our way we bought a bouquet of helium balloons.  As we pulled into the driveway, my two sisters jumped out and I opened the trunk, and they got behind it to hide and get the balloons.  I knocked on my parents' door, and they both came.  My Dad started coming out to load in suitcases.  My Mom waited at the door.  I told her to come out too as "the girls" had something for her.  So she reluctantly came out and then she saw Kathy and Becky.  She was absolutely shocked!  She was soooo happy.  She started laughing and crying and dancing around!  I have never seen my Mom so happy!  

She said she was so excited she wanted to party all weekend.  So as you can guess we had a very fun time together.  Monday was her actual birthday.  We went out to breakfast and dinner and went to a movie in between.  My Mom kept commenting and laughing the whole weekend about different food she had bought because she thought Heidi and MaryAnn would like them.  At 7:30 p.m. we left to come back to Folsom after a very wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I have great memories of that weekend and how fun Mom was the whole time! I don't know why Mom was so shy about having her picture taken because she was such a beauty!