Saturday, September 1, 2012

Meet The Newest Fan:#24 On Our Team!

Bethany was born right before the 1st BYU football game of the season.   
She's already cheering!!
 What a sweetie!
Our family has a friendly competition to see who can guess the scores of each game.
There are some prizes but this biggest prize is the weekly email we get from our family's ring leader.  
This one was extra fun!
Dear Fans,

Congratulations to John and Sara—we have a new Cougar fan in the family with the birth on game day of Bethany Katherine Harrison.  She’s a Texan!  And both she and Sara are healthy.  Bethany has proud grandparents; and I’m sure she has proud aunts and uncles and cousins, too.

After that big event, the BYU Cougars showed the world who the real Cougars are by thoroughly dominating those fake cougars from Washington State.  Well, at least they showed folks who were willing to stay up late enough to watch.  With this year’s schedule, I’m glad to be in the Pacific time zone. 

Happily, all contestants in the family Cougar Challenge earned at least 30 points.  That’s what I’m shooting for each game.  The overall leader after the first game is Bethany’s big sister, Aubrey!  She tallied 44 points and holds leads of two-points over Sarah, three points over Elizabeth, and four points Katie, Emma and Brian.  Yup, we have to go clear to a three-way tie for fourth to find the leader of the adult division.  And we’d have to go to a tie for tenth before finding John with 37 points, good enough for second in the adult division.

The Cougars played well enough to secure a convincing win, but they will face much stiffer competition as the season progresses.  Plenty of things to improve, especially the offensive line, in my opinion, before we can expect similar success against tougher teams.  Next week the Cougars play Weber State on Saturday afternoon.  This should provide another chance to dominate, improve execution and gain experience before facing the tougher teams.

Go Cougars, beat Weber State!  I don’t think I know their team name; oh well, beat ‘em up!

Love,
Dad/Dan/Grandpa

By the way, sometimes I wonder if President Packer even looks at the BYU football schedule before he announces the stake conference schedule.  Or maybe he does look and picked our stake for the Utah game.  Maybe he knows his stake presidents better than I thought.

Second by the way, (would that by John B’s son?) our stake has four players on the BYU football team.  None saw action in yesterday’s contest, but I did see Dylan Collie playing catch on the sideline.  He might have been warming up a relief quarterback who didn’t get in the game, either.  Before playing catch, he was standing on the bench next to Cody Hoffman, whom he considers to be a beast.  Bethany and others not yet familiar with football lingo:  That’s a very high compliment.

3 comments:

MollyE said...

Cute letter! Loved to see the pictures of beautiful Bethany!

Kathy said...

Welcome Bethany! You are joining a special family!

And go Cougars! People in Washington just said go Cougars last week to represent both teams! I'm glad the true Cougs won!

Katie said...

Congrats on a beautiful new grand baby!

Go Cougs!!