Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Learning More!

Our trip got me interested in learning more about our history.
  I have recently enjoyed the following books:
George Washington, Spymaster
Some interesting tidbits and stories of the intrigue behind the war.

A chapter in this book got me interested in finding out more about Benedict Arnold, so I read this one.  

The Notorious Benedict Arnold: 
A True Story of Adventure, Heroism and Treachery
by Steve Sheinkin
I learned a lot about the personality of the man that would lead him to become a traitor.  He didn't think of himself that way.  In his mind he justified everything he did not just for his own good but for the good of the colonies.  He also had a large chip on his shoulder for not being recognized for his perceived accomplishments.

We were also able to visit Jamestown on our trip.
I thought it would be interesting to get beyond the myths and legends and learn more about this young girl.
The True Story of Pocahontas: The Other Side of the Story
by Dr. Linwood "Little Bear" Custalow and Angela L. Daniel "Silver Star"

1 comment:

Kathy said...

And we're related to Pocahantas!