Dan is head of the Administrative Services team at work, so from time to time he does things to inspire and motivate them. Recently, they watched a DVD from motivational speaker, Bob Farrell. He sold his 55 chain stores of ice cream parlors in 1973 to take his message of customer service on the road. It's called "Give 'em the pickle!" and is based on a letter he received from a disappointed customer. So Dan is giving everyone on his team, all 15 of them, a jar of pickles to remind them to go the extra mile!
Here is a copy of the letter and response that inspired the program. It's a good thing for all of us to remember in all of our relationships and dealings with others--seems like we've heard that somewhere else before: "And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain." (Matthew 5:41) Here's the letter and quote from Bob Farrell:
"I’ve been coming to your restaurant for over three years. I always order a #2 hamburger and a chocolate shake. I always ask for an extra pickle and I always get one. Mind you, this has been going on once or twice a week for three years.
I came into your restaurant the other day and I ordered my usual #2 hamburger and a chocolate shake. I asked the young waitress for an extra pickle. I believe she was new because I hadn’t seen her before. She said, “Sir, I will sell you a side of pickles for $1.25.” I told her, “No, I just want one extra slice of pickle. I always ask for it and they always give it to me. Go ask your manager.”
She went away and came back after speaking to the manager. The waitress looked me in the eye and said, “I’ll sell you a pickle for a nickel.” Mr Farrell, I told her what to do with her pickle, hamburger and milkshake. I’m not coming back to your restaurant if that’s the way you’re going to run it.
He signed his name and, fortunately for me, included his address. I wrote him a letter and enclosed a card for a free hot fudge sundae. I assured him we don’t run our business that way, apologized, and asked him to please come back. I had a chance meeting with him years later and I thanked him in person for his letter because it became the “war cry” of our young company, “Give ’em the Pickle.” When something happens with a customer and you’re not sure what to do? “Give ’em the Pickle!” Do what it takes to make things right!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I love pickle day! Maybe that's another Harrison saying.
We were just talking about pickle day yesterday. And pajama day and french toast day. I'm trying to convert my family to pajama day. Courtney wants her pajamas washed everyday and it's just not working for me.
In defense of Fast Food employees everywhere, that guy had 3 years of good experiences and one day he has a new employee who is just following the rules so she charges him and he says he is never going to the restaurant again? I say, just pay the nickel and make a new employee have a good day!
Post a Comment